Virtual chains provide the feel and benefit of a dedicated blockchain while running on top of a shared physical node infrastructure, enjoying the security and decentralization provided by the shared environment as well as the isolation and customization provided by virtualization
Consensus on transactions of different virtual chains can be run independently, are sharded and run concurrently on separate resources. The ledgers of virtual chains can also be maintained independently and their compute can be performed in parallel. Moreover, the isolation of state for each virtual chain reduces the memory requirements of its virtual machine.
- Each app operates its own virtual chain with inherent sharding
- App developers choose their virtual chain’s consensus protocol and governance model
- Autonomous governance and flexibility
- Isolation from congestion in other virtual chains
- Ability to start with a private instance and later switch to public without having to migrate blockchains